Friday, April 24, 2020

Are LMRFD Ambulance Crews Fudging Response Times?

R415 the LMRFD ambulance was paged for a call around 06:12 this morning. The Dolan station crew advised they were in route at that time. 

I was sitting on the front porch drinking my morning coffee, so I thought the ambulance would go by in a minute or so since I'm just a mile from the fire station. 

I sat there drinking my coffee and nothing, minutes went by and nothing. I went and made another cup of coffee and returned to the porch. Still nothing so I figured I missed them going by and continued to sit there watching a pair of hawks nesting in our tree. 

I was surprised to see the ambulance going by mile post 4 on Pierce Ferry at 06:24. If they were in route at 06:12 why did it take them 12 minutes to drive one mile?

In Route means the station doors are open and you're actually responding, not that you're just rolling out of bed and you'll get dressed and get going when you feel like it.

The Emergency Medical Services & Trauma System uses the data they receive from dispatch logs to judge EMS response times including the time it takes to get dispatched and the ambulance response times.

I understand we live in a rural area but the average EMS response time in the US is 7 minutes. In rural areas the median response time is 14 minutes from 911 call to arrival on scene. 

The fact it takes the LMRFD ambulance crew 10 minutes just to leave the fire station is unacceptable. 

Brain death occurs at about 6 minutes in a cardiac arrest. With the LMRFD crews taking 10 minutes to leave the fire station if you had a heart attack nextdoor at the Chamber of Commerce you'd be dead by the time they arrived only a few feet away.


Emergency Medical Services Response Times in Rural, Suburban, and Urban Areas

Emergency medical service units average 7 minutes from the time of a 911 call to arrival on scene. That median time increases to more than 14 minutes in rural settings, with nearly 1 of 10 encounters waiting almost a half hour for the arrival of EMS personnel. LINK





No comments:

Post a Comment