Tuesday, August 24, 2021

We love our technology, but when it comes to medical care and human relations I think sometimes less is more

Is technology always better? 

We love our technology today, cars even drive themselves, but when it comes to human relations I think sometimes less is more...

Today when a paramedic shows up the first thing they do is hook you up to a $20,000 heart monitor, an automatic blood pressure cuff and put one of those little things on your finger to take your pulse.

I kind of like the way we did things before all the technology where we actually touched you. I think touch is important to all of us and sometimes today with all the technology it becomes very impersonal.

By actually touching you and taking your pulse I can learn so much about your condition. Simply knowing you have a radial pulse tells me your systolic blood pressure is over 80 mmHg. Is your skin warm, pink and dry, or is something wrong?

Is your pulse regular or irregular, is it weak or bounding? Does it easily disappear with a little pressure or is it hard to make disappear? 

By simply taking your pulse I get your heart rate, but I also learn about your hearts rhythm, your body's temperature, your blood pressure.

Some information like an irregular, weak or very rapid pulse are important findings that need to be addresses. If you have chest pain or shortness of breath CALL 911... 

Simply by taking your pulse I can tell so many things about your medical condition without any technology. Back to Basics..

No comments:

Post a Comment