Friday, October 6, 2017

Impressed with Chief Eder at NACFD

I started my fire training with NACFD last month. I was very impressed with Chief Eder when he did the majority of our training. Most fire chiefs I've known over the years just have an instructor do the training.

He's being very proactive in doing CPR and first aid training in Chloride so the citizens know what to do before EMS arrives. NACFD has provided an AED for Chloride in case of a sudden cardiac arrest in their community. At this time about 5% of the Chloride citizens have been trained in CPR AED and first aid.

I know the consolidation would have passed if NACFD had been as proactive at getting volunteers as Chief Eder. At that time we were told by the former chief that he would consider volunteers. When I sent in my volunteer application to NACFD I was contacted and within days and was being interviewed by Chief Eder.

In my opinion anyone who want's to volunteer for a fire district should be able to do something to assist their community. The majority of fire departments in the United States are volunteer. Of the total 30,052 fire departments in the country, 19,807 are all volunteer; 5,797 are mostly volunteer; 1,971 are mostly career; and 2,477 are all career.

The fire district belongs to the citizens of the district. If a volunteer does nothing more than cover the fire station when firefighters are out on calls in case in case someone shows up needing help.

It's OUR fire district after all........




No comments:

Post a Comment