Sunday, September 6, 2015

Got Tired of Asking For Public Records

I've asked the LMRFD for documents to help us make good decisions. So far I've got a few documents, but have been given excuses why I can't have other documents.

The law is very clear on public records, citizens can review public records for free, and the cost for copies of documents must be reasonable.

When I asked for the LMRFD SOP or Standard Operating Procedures Manual this is what I was told, "Like I said, I do not have a copy of NACFD's SOP's.  The SOP's for the LMRFD from 2.5 years ago, which may or may not be relevant at this point,  are 124 pages total.  I have not found a way to quickly download and send them directly from our reporting service.  I will need to print, scan and email them.  I am hesitant to do that, not knowing if they even apply any longer.  Ellen"

These are public records, our public records. No one has the right to decide if a public record is "relevant", they only need to follow the law and provide access at a reasonable cost. $2 per page is not reasonable.

I'm sorry she doesn't know how to operate a computer, but printing documents is a very basic computer skill, citizens shouldn't be charged high prices because she's incompetent with computers.

I have filed a complaint with the Arizona Ombudsman's Office to gain access to public records we have a right to see.

Jay


No comments:

Post a Comment