Saturday, April 24, 2021

First Responders and Rugged Phones - Who Ya Gonna Call With a Broken Phone?

I shake my head when I see people using their phone with cracked screens, but I cringe when I see first responders with using one. 

First responders need phones that work anytime and every time, so they need a rugged case or a rugged phone.

I'm hard on phones and tablets. I broke two phones and a tablet in a week, so we buy rugged phones now. it's just less expensive. 

I carry a Sonim XP8. It's a rugged phone and I can attest to that because I've dropped it so many times. 

I love this XP8 review they say "We put the Sonim XP8 through the wringer. We dropped it on concrete several times, jumped on it, skipped it across a small pond, and it only suffered a couple of scuffs". 

I know most Androids are not water resistant, but there are Android based rugged phones that are water proof. iPhones 7 and later models say they're splash proof. Splash proof?

There are many rugged Android phones on the market but only rugged cases are available for iPhones. Like the Xciel has rugged iPhone cases that are water proof and drop resistant but spending $725 for a case for a $1000 iPhone is out of my price range.

The Blackview BV9900 Pro rugged phone is $500 but has FLIR for firefighters. 

The Sonim XP8 is $699 at AT&T or around $200 used on eBay AT&T is the FirstNet service provider. 

In day to day operations if a firefighter breaks a phone they get a new one the next day. In a disaster if a firefighter breaks a phone it may be days to weeks to get a new phone. 

So First Responders Please STOP Buying Breakable Phones 

This is a Uniden UV350 Mobile Android Phone on FirstNet it's made for first responders with external antennas for phone and GPS for extended range in rural areas where first responders work on the fringe of cellular coverage.



The New Uniden UV350 Smartphone/Radio blurs the line between two-way radios and smartphones with GPS and it's Bluetooth PTT Push-to-Talk microphone and PoC Push-to-Talk over Cellular service it's the future of first responder communications.







No comments:

Post a Comment